A Warning To The Ignorant

A Warning To The Ignorant

Monday, February 1, 2010

Why Can't "Flat Stanley" Be A Brother?


I agreed help my niece out by having my kids fill out this "Flat Stanley" exercise.

As best that I can tell - elementary school children send out "Flat Stanley" to their friends in other cities.   The receiver is required to go someplace unique to their city and take a picture of it with "Flat Stanley" in the background.  Then they send it back to the originating kid.

This to me appears to be a case of "Hidden Racism".   I mean this character "Flat Stanley" is a White kid.  During this exercise he will be given the opportunity to fly on jets - per the US Postal service.  He will likely be taken to some of the local sites that are attractive to tourists that little kids trapped in the ghetto will never be taken to.

In this "age of Obama" I make the case that we need to have a choice of characters that kids send out:

* "Slim Sammy" - a Black character
* "Bulimic Betty" - a female character
* "Sweet Scotty" - the gay - gender mis-assigned little boy